Deadline: Friday, March 10
I’m falling behind on my phone calls! I haven’t called my MOCs in at least a week. That’s no good. So, here’s what I’ve done to catch up.
- I called my Congressman Jared Huffman to express my opposition to a whole bunch of crazy congressional bills. I read through the list with the nice young lady who answered the phone and she told me his position on each of them. Thankfully, he opposes all of them too. So I said “thank you!”
(Sidenote: I also asked her about what is done with postcards and letters received from constituents. She said that a staff person opens and reads each piece of mail, logs the opinion into their constituent opinion tracking system, scans the piece of mail and saves it to a file on their hard drive, and then stores the mail in a big cabinet. As far as she knows, the mail is kept forever until the Congressperson is no longer in office. Interesting!)
This is the list of crazy bills that my Congressperson opposes. Which is great!
- HR 861 Terminate the Environmental Protection Agency
- HR 610 Vouchers for Public Education
- HR 899 Terminate the Department of Education
- HJR 69 Repeal Rule Protecting Wildlife
- HR 370 Repeal Affordable Care Act
- HR 354 Defund Planned Parenthood
- HR 785 National Right to Work (this one ends unions)
- HR 83 Mobilizing Against Sanctuary Cities
- HR 147 Criminalizing Abortion -Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act
2.) I called my Senators Feinstein and Harris to say this: “Hi! I’m a constituent from Ukiah. I am calling about two issues today. First, I want to thank you for co-sponsoring the BRIDGE Act S.128. Second, I want to ask you to opposed the REINS Act.
(Background: The REINS act will make it easier for Congress to block new regulations related to public safety, public health, the environment… Both of my Senators have not yet taken a position on the REINS act. The BRIDGE Act will protect certain undocumented students and veterans from deportation.)
3) I left a message with the Department of Homeland Security public comment line at 202-282-8495. This is what I said: “Hello. I’m calling to request that the Department allow DACA recipient Daniela Vargas to be immediately released from detention. I am also asking ICE to truly prioritize their immigration enforcement raids and arrests on criminals who have committed violent crimes. It is un-American, unpatriotic, and inhumane to tear apart families who are peaceful and law-abiding. Thank you for your hard work and attention.” (Click here for background info on Daniela Vargas.)