I created this site to provide my friends with ideas and inspiration for resisting the national agenda of hate, discrimination, regression, and nihilism that has been promoted by the Donald Trump campaign and now Presidency.
Brief background info:
Shortly after the 2016 presidential election, I began documenting my own daily Acts of Resistance on my personal Facebook page. Over time, friends and acquaintances asked me to make some of those posts public. Other friends, who are not Facebook users, asked me to email them ideas for resistance. It became too cumbersome to manage the requests and comments while still maintaining personal privacy on Facebook. Thus, I created this site.
A bit about me:
I am not a professional political person. I live in rural northern California with my husband and two children. I am a former Peace Corps volunteer and I work in social services. The actions I describe on this site will focus principally on resisting an agenda of hate, discrimination, and fear. In a general sense, I am drawn to issues related to social, economic, and environmental justice.
My process for this site:
Like many of you, I get a lot of “calls to action” from various left-leaning activist organizations. I skim through them quickly to figure out which ones are relevant and compelling. I also read a lot of articles and Facebook posts. I always verify accuracy and validity before I take action. And then I share it with you via this blog.
This blog will:
- Provide timely tools for advocacy.
- Let you know if there is a deadline to pay attention to.
- Let you know if an action is regional in scope (e.g. just California).
- Occasionally include typos and poor grammar.
- Sometimes have some good news or fun photos.
- Be most useful to you if you use the “categories” and “tags” buttons at the bottom of the home page.
This blog will not:
- Accept comments. If you want to argue or debate, please go find a Facebook page to do so. (Update: I am now accepting comments as of July 1. Because… what the heck…)
- Be all that useful to seasoned or veteran activists. This site is really designed for novice or amateur resisters.
- Always be updated regularly. I have a full life, children, and a job. I have only committed to this project for up to two hours per week.
- Include links and calls to action for online petitions. (Except in rare circumstances). Here’s why.
- Look or feel professional. I barely know what I’m doing with this wordpress account, and I’m just figuring it out as I go along.
Thanks for reading! And thanks for taking action!
In solidarity and with gratitude,